GALLEY CAT

GALLEY CAT
LIFE BEGINS !

Saturday 16 July 2011

OPTIMIST or PESSIMIST


Well I'm having a bet each way,As you can see I managed to get the YOT to float and headed for the swing basin without any major drama's.Once safely anchored, I caught some livebaits and set about catching dinner. Luckily for me a really nice sized bream fell victim to my bait. The wok and steamer came out to play while the skeleton was placed into the crab trap.Perhaps I'd get a late nite snack as well.Good music, Good food and a nice Location. That's all any optimist could hope for I've spent a nite on the water self sufficient and returned alive.
However the pessimist also has a 2 page list of items that need attention or upgrade.The biggest being POWER!!!
The new batteries despite being charged for 2 days with my U beaut battery charger were flat after three hours of use.I've now got them hooked to a different battery charger and the difference is already obvious. One other major factor is to check WATER supplies before leaving shore, half way through cooking my bream dinner the Port (left) water tank ran out.Leaving me 2 source water from the bathroom. Not a huge drama but a definite rookie mistake! Then the generator decided it didn't like being on the water and would only run for about an hour at a time, once again a fixable problem but still a problem just the same. Then to top it off upon returning to shore on Sunday's high tide I managed to get a crab trap rope wound around my Starboard propeller leaving me with limited manoeuvrability and I needed Rob's help to get the YOT safely secured.
All these are fixable and defined problems so for now the optimist wins and I'll call it a successful test trip.
That's all 4 now
Captain Felix

1 comment:

  1. Enfin, le bateau est sur la mer, et il'y'a les poissons pour la diner!!!!!! What a great photo of Galley Cat on the duckpond !!!!! - did you take it? This is another step closer to being independent, even if only a small one. At least the problems you encountered are very easy to remedy. Hope you hear from the Mermaid soon - it's always a bit of a worry when people are out of contact for any length of time. Glad to know you are catching enough crabs and fish to keep you from starving - although from your meal descriptions it sounds as though meals are very scanty and BORING !!!!! Keeping fresh water topped up would be a VERY GOOD IDEA - your plight called to mind a line from "Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner" - "Water, water everywhere, though ne'er a drop to drink" !!!!
    Take care, and keep in touch
    Mum

    ReplyDelete

LEAVE A MESSAGE HERE!